Slowly coming together.

So I finally got around to doing some work on the sign. I’ll take you through a step by step process of what has happened so far.

I don’t have access to Adobe Illustrator currently, so I’m using Macromedia Flash 8 to construct vectors and JPEXS Flash Decompiler to convert them to vector based SVG’s and printable PNG’s. Unorthodox, but it gets the job done; plus I’m pretty familiar with the programs.

First came the footer, I used this picture as a reference to recreate the footer in vector form from.

Now, Flash 8 has no pen tool like newer iterations of Flash, but any veteran of graphics in Flash knows the line tool can be used as a pretty good substitute. Here’s my trace over of it with the line tool.

I kind of forgot at this point that there needed to be a curve at both ends, but I eventually got around to fixing that. Next step was coloring in the lineart, which is as simple as using the paint bucket tool on the lines.

Though I have no pictures of it, as it’s hard to show in pictures, I had to separate the colors in to their own groups, similar to how traditional vector graphics work. Flash renders vectors a lot differently than other programs.

After words, I moved on to the text within the footer. They use a custom font for this in their signs, but I didn’t have access to the font. Fortunately, I found something quite similar to the font in the default Windows fonts. A keen eye might be able to tell the difference, but with how these signs are made to quickly glance at to get all the info you need, most probably won’t even notice.

Side by side comparison using the same words:

Some fooling around with the text spacing and size, and I was able to make it a bit more accurate to the reference.

Now I had to find a font that was going to suit the rest of the sign. If you look at the signs from the previous post, you may notice the fonts tend to jump around from sign to sign. I didn’t really want to do this, so I opted to look for a font similar to the one found in the Weigel’s logo.

Some searching and I was led to this font. It isn’t identical, since the letters are slightly misshapen to make it look like ink, and the edges are not as rounded off, but it comes very close, almost unnoticeable unless you really scrutinize it.

You can see here using the base colors just how well if flows with the Weigel’s design style.

Just as a quick test, I wanted to see how I would format the text for each bit of info. Using the same or similar formats may make it hard to see what is being explained in each section, so I wanted to make sure each section has distinct formatting.

It should be easy to tell what is what, but I’ll still explain it just incase. Attention grabbers are the big red text with the drop shadow. Medium black text is for labeling the price of each advertised combo. Small red text is for the description of each combo. A distinct, black, capitalized, and bold faced ‘OR‘ is used to describe varying products that can be mixed and matched with the combos. It’s more straight forward than advertising two separate combos with only one item differing the two products.

Anyways, that is all I have for now. I need to start photoshopping (or GIMP’ing, in this case) the assets of the products, which I will also document my process of.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *