As stated before, there was no way I was going to reach the 29th deadline, so I’m extending it until sometime in mid-November to be safe. I’m going to be starting a second internship soon, so I’m going to have even less time to work on this than before.
I had to do a prompt for the portfolio yesterday, and I decided I’d practice some animation. I know it isn’t great, but I did get it done pretty quickly (less than a day). I think this sloppy refined sketch look may be the key to animating at an efficient rate within my ever shrinking free time.
Welp, I finally got the hair reference of Baraburk done. If you compare her to the previous test shot from before, you may notice she’s brighter in color here. That’s because I decided to give her colors a bit more contrast so they aren’t so muddy looking. Much like with Luminen, there’s a little sketch to the side that quickly describes something about her. Baraburk does cartoons for a newspaper to pay the bills, and that there is the main character of her comic.
With this and the body ref (not posted here) finished, I can now get back to animating, and doing it properly.
I got the one scene bloody done! So yeah, this was the initial look I was trying to go with the animation; 30 FPS animated on 2’s with colored lines and shading. It. Is. Not. Efficient. At. All. As I mentioned before, the style now is going to change to black outlines animated on 4’s for efficiency; but I’m also not going to shade it unless the scene calls for some sort of shading or shine to be used.
This is the only video that I’m going to share of it until the entire animation is 100% done, due to it being a very short animation.
Firstly, it’s been seven years to the day since I’ve started doing art. Crazy right?
Currently, I’ve now realized I’ve made a major mistake by choosing to go with colored outlines for the animation initially. C o l o r e d o u t l i n e s a n d f r a m e b y f r a m e a n i m a t i o n d o n o t m i x . Trying to color this one scene in has become an absolute nightmare, not to mention that I just lost all the progress of coloring I had due to a software malfunction. I see now why literally everyone uses solid black outlines, and saves other styles of outlining for motion tweening. It’s going to be jarring, but I’m just going to start animating in black lines, and just leave the one’s I’ve already finished with colored lines. I’m also going to animate on 4’s; animating on 2’s is simply taking too much time. This is going to look like a rushed mess, but I’m going to pull this off. Mark my words.
This is the segment that I’ve been stuck on for about a month. It’s entirely frame by frame, as has been true for the other scenes I’ve finished, but I’m starting to power through it. I’m thinking about maybe animating on 3’s and 4’s as oppose to 2’s to save time; but I’m not going to be able to test that out until this segment gets finished.
The illustration in question is a redesign of Snuut’s mane that my Mom suggested I should go with. I’ve done some tests, and it’s much easier to draw in succession than Snuut’s original mane. The old mane is difficult to animate and doesn’t translate to solid drawings all that well.
Why am I posting this? So, I’ve been wanting to make a series of animations about Snoot for two years now (three if you count the time when it was originally going to be about Lightbulb). Hell, an “animation” was “completed” about her in 2019. However, the idea was never solid. I just kind of wanted to animate Snoot, and didn’t really think past that. It’s been like that for about two years now, just sort of making mild progress here and there. I’ve been working on a singular animation for quite some time now, and it started to get maddening after a while not knowing where I was going entirely.
Fast forward to this week, and I guess some discussions with my Mom and some retarded sketches later, and realizing just how indecisive I was about what I wanted to do, I suddenly have a solid idea of where I’m going to take this. Just so I don’t forget the idea and have some accountability, I’m going to jot this idea down publicly.
The Meat. Official Title: Illoinen Snuut
Premise: Snuut is clueless about what career she wants to work toward after being pulled in to civilization from her previous cave dwelling life. She now has to figure out what that end goal is, all while her caretakers teach and prep her in to becoming a responsible cog in the machine of society.
Setting: Vaski, a village in a made up land similar to the Lapland region.
Estimated length per animation: 5 minutes.
Estimated cost per short: Whatever my Gas Station Buxx can afford at the time.
Estimated amount of shorts: 12 to16
Target Audience: General Audience between 16 to 21.
Target Platform: My own site first, then to Newgrounds if it works.
Do note the first episode being released on the 29th will not entirely follow this set up due to being started nearly a year ago (I really shouldn’t have jumped before I knew where I wanted to land).
The Action. Now that I have all this written out, I’ll make constant updates on this site detailing the progress of it. Stay tuned.